The QVB was originally built as the Queen Victoria Market and replaced an existing produce market. The building was designed by city architect George McRae and constructed between 1893 and 1898. At the time Sydney was in a deep recession and the government used the construction of this enormous building to employ a large number of craftsmen.
QVB Central Dome
The elaborate building is decorated with stained glass windows, wrought-iron balustrades, patterned floor tiles and large statues. Characteristic for the building are the glass roof over the central arcade and its many domes, one large and twenty smaller ones. The largest, central dome has a diameter of twenty meters and consists of an inner glass dome and an exterior copper dome topped with a cupola.