A little-known ancient 'Tynwald' meeting place between the Baldwin valleys in the Isle of Man.
The entry for this site in the 'Guide to the Archaeological Sites of the Isle of Man' by Andrew Johnson and Allison Fox is as follows:
"This is one of four historically recorded assembly sites in the Isle of Man (the others being at Tynwald Hill, Castle Rushen and Renurling (Michael)).
The earliest reference to this site is in the Statue Books, which record acts passed by Tynwald: at a court 'holden at Killabane' in 1429 'trial by combat' was abolished.
The exact location of the assembly site is not clear, and the present circular dry stone enclosure was constructed in 1929 to commemorate its existence. Historically the spot was visited each by by parishioners of Braddan who would walk around the site giving three cheers.
A burial mound might have acted as the focus for the assembly, much as at Tynwald Hill itself, giving rise to the place name (a 'cronk' is a small hill) but no trace of this now survives.
A cross slab and lintel graves at St. Luke's Church may indicate the location of Keeill Abbon, the landmark for which the mound was named.
Keeill Abbon may have been the location of a regional Tynwald assembly for the southern sheadings of Garff, Middle and Rushen. Its position close to the routeway known as Via Regia would have facilitated access."
More information about the Archaeological Sites Guide is available here: www.culturevannin.im/news_story_477106.html
This picture was taken by Culture Vannin, which exists to promote and support all aspects of culture in the Isle of Man.